Sidenote: I wrote this rant piece in April of 2012. Less than a year later, I deleted (not deactivated) my original Facebook account. I was forced to create a new Facebook account in 2015, because of work requirements. I’m probably deleting it soon too.
I’m cringing at the dogmatic tone of this article but I guess I was a really angry 20-something year-old
Some of y’all are scared to let it out. Not me. I’m not perfect. I probably annoy a few people with some of my Facebook habits. But then there are some things folks do on Facebook that really gets to me. Here are my Top 10.
10. Vague status updates. Posting stuff like:
“Oh no, I cant believe this!”
“Yes I did it! Don’t ask me what”
“I really hope this goes well….”
Seriously if you don’t want us to know what you’re talking about, why post it in the first place?
9. Going about ‘loling’ on all your friends posts, never contributing anything. While you are allowed the occasional ’lol’, it really gets annoying when every notification in which your name pops up takes me to a page where I will always see you ‘lol’.
It’s even more annoying when you’re always the first to comment when I post something intended to stir up a debate. If you have nothing to say, say nothing.
8. You see some of those comic photos that go around, you have a great laugh and you think you should share it with other friends. So you decide the best way to go about that is to:
- (If the poster is not one of your Facebook friends), bother the poor soul by placing a request to be tagged on the photo.
- Re-post the pic and then tag as many friends as possible so that it’s definite they see it.
Number one is really annoying. I’d rather not bother about tagging someone I don’t know on some random public photo anybody can get. If you really wanna SHARE it, just click the SHARE button. it’s so easy.
But number 1 is not even half as annoying number 2. Don’t you just hate it when some friend tags you in a photo that’s not of you? And then you start to receive notifications – per second billing – about who and who’s been commenting (most of which are peeps you hardly know). Seriously if you really need a particular friend to see it, you could either tag him in a comment under the photo (he won’t receive any notifications after that), or just leave it and hope he sees it.
7. You post something, you’re convinced it’s super-witty and then you ‘Like’ it. Seriously?
….. ok…. maybe I’ve been guilty a handful of times But seriously, it’s not smart.
6. Borrowing or stealing other’s post without acknowledging them. Seriously if you’re gonna steal (or borrow) someone’s post why not post it like:
And even more seriously, it’s easier to just click the share button than to have to copy, paste and re-post a gazillion lines of text. Geeez!!
5. You post on Facebook like you’re on Twitter:
Erm… it’s called a hashtag (2018 me: Facebook later added the hashtag feature) and it has specific search, and somewhat discursive, functions on Twitter. Well it’s been abused over there already but why carry it on to Facebook?
4. It’s your Mum’s or Dad’s birthday. Neither is on Facebook (or at least not on your friends list), yet on their birthday’s we see post likes
“Happy birthday mum. You’re the best mum in the world.”
Like seriously? Not to intrude on the mushy family moment but who is the message intended for exactly? For us or your mum? You’d be better off posting something like this:
At least then we’d know the post was meant for us.
3. Some famous guy dies, you never knew him personally yet we see post like:
Uh? First question how did you get to know him so personally well? Second, how is he supposed to read this? Last time I checked, Facebook doesn’t work in the after-life. I mean the post is meant for him right?
I wouldn’t have a problem if you had posted something like these:
At least then we’d know you were sharing valuable info.
2. Adding someone to some silly group without asking first. I mean, I don’t wanna wake up one morning, log into my Facebook and find a notification that says something like “Lagbaja just added you to ‘Wizkid die-hard fan group’ “. Wizkid? Die-hard what? Or even more annoying, “Yinka Davies just added you to the group ‘I love Charley Boy’ .”
Seriously if you add me to the later group, I will so un-friend you. of course that would come after I kindly opt myself out of the group before it does more damage on my rep.
And this one takes the cake for me……
1. I really hate Birthday wall posts. Read my older post: I HAVE A CONFESSION: I hate birthday wall posts on Facebook