Sidenote: This was originally written in January 2012. I no longer follow football actively
It’s no longer news that Lionel Messi has broken yet another record by being the first player to win the prestigious Ballon D’or 4 times; a very well deserved award, which I can’t argue against in all honesty. However, from watching tonight’s award ceremonies, a couple of questions have come to mind. And I need answers:
- Is Andres Iniesta the most underrated player ever?
- Can we safely conclude that Lionel Messi is the greatest of all time?
- What is Jose Mourinho doing on the top 3 coaches list?
- What is Pep Guardolia doing on the same list?
- Why is Antonio Conte not on said list?
- Why is Roberto Di Matteo not on said list?
- How did Pirlo and Robin van Persie not make the 2012 FIFPro World XI list?
- How is it that all players in FIFPro World XI list are from the La Liga?
- How is it that no single Chelsea player made the list?
- Who really votes for these awards anyway?
These are the questions that I’ve been pondering for a while and honestly, I’ve had a tough time answering them all. Can you help?